Mark commenced practice as a mediator in 2004, and has practiced exclusively in the ADR field since 2014. Previously, Mark had over thirty years of experience as trial and appellate counsel, after being called to the BC Bar in 1982.
Mark has conducted well over one thousand mediations in a wide variety of areas, including family businesses, personal injury, professional liability, construction, insurance (property, casualty, life, and disability), shareholders’ and joint venture partners’ disputes, closely held corporations, real estate, and wills and estates. Mark has particular expertise in mediating disputes where there is high emotional content.
Mark also frequently acts as an arbitrator. His arbitration experience includes UMP claims, and various commercial and insurance disputes, including acting as an umpire in property insurance matters. Mark also has substantial experience sitting as a court appointed adjudicator in class action cases.
Mark has the following mediation and arbitration affiliations:
- Mediate BC, Civil Roster Member, 2004 to date
- Vancouver International Arbitration Center, Mediation, Domestic Arbitration, and UMP Panel member, 2013 to date
- ADRBC, Mediation, and Arbitration Panel member, 2016 to date
- International Academy of Mediators, Distinguished Fellow, 2020 to date
- Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Mediation, and Arbitration Panel member, 2020 to date.
Mark received his Chartered Mediator designation in 2017, and his Chartered Arbitrator designation in 2020.
Mark is an active volunteer with, and board member of, the BC Lawyers Assistance Program. He has assisted in interventions, acts as a peer counsellor, and frequently acts as counsel to lawyers in discipline, credentials, and practice standards matters before the Law Society of British Columbia.